With my moving day looming, time becomes the most precious resource in my life. It is without exaggregation that the last several weeks, especially starting October, are my busiest time in the last several years. Literally, there were a thousand moving parts in my life a few weeks ago, an I'm glad I have nailed most of them done. Here is an incomplete snapshot -- each bullet can make an interesting blog post, assuming I have time:
1. Sell the house.
2. Sell both cars.
3. Sell most furnitures.
4. Lease a mailbox from local UPS store.
5. Close out some dormant banking and credit card accounts (those accumulated over the years thanks to my appetite for deals).
6. Change mailing address of all banking and credit card accounts.
7. Incorporate a business.
8. Get an EIN for the new business.
9. Set up business checking account with local credit union.
10. Set up business credit card account with Citi.
11. Set up self-employment (individual) 401(k) plan with Fidelity.
12. Prepare all paperwork to maintain family's green cards.
13. Acquire term life insurance policy for both my wife and me.
14. Set up online fax service at eFax.
15. Work with relocation agent to finalize temporary housing at destination.
16. Self study US tax laws on foreign income.
17. Meet with tax advisor to discuss my (future) tax exposure in the US and my self-employment income tax management plan.
18. Set up appointment to meet tax advisor at the destination to discuss local tax laws.
19. Close off some credit accounts.
20. Terminate home, auto and umbrella insurance policies.
21. My wife on business trip to get training to her new job; I practice single parent surviving skills.
22. Meet/dinner with all friends.
23. Attend a few conferences/trainings in company HQ here.
24. Meet VIPs in HQ to keep my network alive.
25. Start talking to colleagues at my destination to reestablish my network in Asia.
26. Enroll in destination statutory company's benefits plan.
27. Create a forward-looking family financial model
994. More conference for next week.
995. Hire a maid service for move-out cleanup.
996. Hold a farewell party for my kid at his preschool.
997. Close the house.
998. Work with professional moving company to pack and load.
999. Live in a local hotel for two nights.
1000. Take the final flight.
So far, I haven't revealed my destination. Any one care to make a guess?