Jim Jubak summarized five observations from Buffett's Annual Letter to Berkshire Hathaway shareholders:
1. There’s a shortage of attractively priced stocks.
2. Bonds aren’t a buy either at current prices and yields.
3. Buffett has become even more bearish on the dollar in the last year.
4. The time to reduce risk is before the excrement hits the propeller.
5. When stocks look fully priced, it makes sense for a long-term investor to wait.
Long-term readers of my blog already knew well that I am very bearish of the market now. I am already 50% in cash now, and with the expected selloff of my RJR shares by the end of the month, I will be at around 60% cash. Even for the remaining 40%, some of them are in bearish option bets.
In the last few months, it was quite painful to watch the market climbed while my stakes in money market funds only earned me a paltry 1% or 2%. I can understand it is a waiting game that might not end until after the election. But when the time comes, I hope my portfolio can withstand a major market correction or crash.