CNN Money's Jeanne Sahadi provided an interesting reading on tipping. Read it and get a refresh course on how to be a better waiter or waitress.
If you are a frequent diner and are curious about what's in your favorite waitress's mind, this list is helpful too:
- Smile at the customer.
- "Hello, my name is ..."
- Squat next to the table.
- Repeat customers' orders.
- Upsell. (The bigger the bill, the bigger the tip.)
- Give customers candy. (Or any other small gifts, like refilling your coke.)
- Call customers by name.
- Casually touch customers.
- Draw smiley faces on checks.
- Forecast good weather.
Want more tipping tips? Check out Tipping.org.