This MSN Money article is a must-read to get some survival hints in today's high gas price setting. Some of the tips:
- Comparison shopping for the lowest price (see my post too)
- Use gas rebate card (Citi® Dividend Platinum Select® Card is a good choice)
- Get discounts (like the one from Safeway)
- Remove the junk: unnecessary weight adds to gas consumption
- Slow down: speed over 60mph will cost more gas
- Share a ride
The article also mentioned people can save by refilling at places like CostCo. However, in my own experience, CostCo is no more than 5 cents below other competitive gas stations, so with the kickback from gas rebate card (5% rebate at $2/gallon makes 10 cents/gallon difference), it may be a better deal to refill at gas stations accepting credit cards. After all, CostCo does not accept most of the credit cards, and reward on CostCo Amex card is paltry at best.